Friday 9 August 2019

Introductions

So, I’m having a go at a blog… So what’s this about you ask? In short my ACKS campaign. Here I hope to share my thoughts, ideas, approach and content from my personal campaign.

I’m not sure how long this will last, but let’s give it a crack.

So who am I? I’m a dad, and economist and a gamer. In the 80’s I cut my teeth on palladium games (all of them), Star Wars RPG (when the IP wasn’t cool), Dragon Warriors and BX D&D. In the 90’s I grew out of BX because there was AD&D and it had to be better right? Played a lot of Shadowrun, 2ed Star Wars and Mechwarrior RPG (Traveller in disguise right?). Never really got into world of Darkness or Cthulhu like a lot of people, I think because I like a little hero in my game (Stilled played it). Oh, and a lot of Hero system. The 00’s brought me back to 3.0 D&D and Monte Cooks Arcana Unearthed, but I disconnected again from D&D around 3.5. After that I was solidly into Warhammer 2ed, the border princes book was gold. Dabbled in C&C, never got into 5ed (seems to be gaining traction now but not in the emergent play style I like). I always kept up with Shadowrun but after 3ed it bloated and lost its way a little. I like character sheets that fit on a page and games that can be played on a table (I use computers all day at work and resist them in my games).

I technically missed the whole OSR thing, Warhammer 2ed has me covered. A few years ago I found ACKS, and it’s flexibility and simplicity resonated, I tried a game or two but we only just scratched the surface.

My mistake was I was just running a fantasy game, then Barbarian Conquerors of Kanahu came out and shook up my thinking. Then I saw Omer’s blog, CharlesDM’s and several others so I started thinking about this sword and planet thing. See I love sci fi, and I love fantasy so why not do both! Wow! But not in a crazy gonzo way, but a serious mashup way (still trying to work out the difference).

Armed with all my new shiny books from the Heroic Fantasy Kickstarter I set out on my journey to create a new world. One in which I wanted to reshape a whole planet and the player experience.

I’m lucky to have a wife who has played my various games for almost 30 years and three friends who have stuck with my tinkering for over ten to twenty years each. New players drop in from time to time but these four have stuck with me. Thanks guys.

This blog is the journey of the world I call the Shattered Vale. Next let’s talk about world building and the world itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment