Friday 4 December 2020

The Warrens of Mystery

For the last... eight months my group switched to video play over discord to keep our gaming fun alive. To keep things simple, I went back to basics and setup a mega-dungeon for play. Here I use Gimp to create a layer over the top of the map that I can erase as they explore to reveal room. It has worked surprisingly well and has been a great play experience over discord.

After eight months both of my groups are near the end, they have opened each about five vaults with wildly different results based on party composition and approach. The fun thing for me the last few months has been seeing how radically different groups get wildly different results from the interactions of monsters and factions in the dungeon. 

The dungeons premise is that there are six hidden vaults that can be opened with keys and have hidden treasures in them. There is also a master vault that can be opened with all six keys (something my players have only recently learned). I revealed this through a session zero and through interactions with factions and groups in the dungeons.

Below is the blank map to this dungeon that I drew in March. I have split it into sections of 15-25 rooms and the deeper you go the harder it gets. Over the next few months, I will post the "one-page" summaries of these zones.

I used a hex grid here mainly because my second play group is my home group and my old battlemap is worn on the square grid side. The hex side though has never been used so I thought I would get some life out of it. It also strangely represents the BCK inspired sci-fi elements of my hybrid game that is set on the worldship very nicely.

The Warrens of Mystery

Near the village of Avril rumours have circulated of a recently located visitor vault being opened in the nearby warrens. Strange people dressed in cloaks have come to the village to trade goods in pristine condition that are rarely seen. These goods are surely from a hidden vault, and where there is one vault there are often more to be found. Scouts of house Avril have traced them to a region inhabited known to be inhabited vagrant bog’ans, barbarians, bugfolk and ogres. The have noted also that recent patrols of visitor’s keen on uncovering the vaults hidden within have been spotted in the region.

Parties of adventures have stared the journey to these warrens in recent times to uncover the keys to these vaults and unlock the treasure withing, but many have never returned. Will you brave the dangers of the warrens to unlock its hidden treasures?

The Warrens of Mystery blank map


No comments:

Post a Comment